About Lytham Club Day
In its present form, Club Day has been around for over 120 years, spanning two centuries. It has witnessed many changes yet still managed to survive. In this day and age when there are few things in which the whole community get involved it is nice to see Club Day standing the test of time.
The town is closed to traffic from 8:30am through to 12:30pm (approx.) for children and adults to roam the streets in fancy dress and the town is alive with the hustle and bustle of tableaux, decorated cycles, horses, local traders, bands and of course Lytham Rose Queen & Visiting Queens from the Fylde.
Club Day is for old and young alike, with Punch & Judy shows staged throughout the day and a feast of Morris Dancers performing all over town there is something for everyone.
A parade of Vintage cars heads the main procession, Lytham Rose Queen makes a short stop at the cenotaph laying a wreath in remembrance of the dead from the two World Wars. The streets are lined with spectators and the sound of applause and cheers can be heard above the ooohs and aaahs when bands and floats pass by. The procession disperses at about 12:30pm but the day is far from over. 1pm - Cubbin's fair opens, 1.30pm - Afternoon entertainment gets underway at Lytham Hall, where the Crowning of the Rose Queen, the Mammoth Draw, the Tomes Trophy for Visiting Queens and the presentation of the trophies to the winning classes all takes place, amongst other exciting entertainment. Evening entertainment takes place in the form of a Ceilidh Band, Steel Band and families are encouraged to take picnics along.
Origin of the Club Day nameIn the early part of the 19th century there were various societies or 'CLUBS' like the Foresters, Buffaloes, Rechabites Mechanics etc., who quite independently had their annual meetings usually in a pub. After the meeting a meal was served and of course the beer flowed profusely. There was great rivalry between the Clubs and to show their superiority one-year a particular club engaged the town band to parade round the town before disappearing into their chosen hostelry. Next year, of course, the other clubs did like wise. They then decided to have their annual meetings on the same day and to join together into procession - This is thought to have happened sometime before Queen Victoria came to the throne, the exact date is not known but it is seeming before 1840. Other things followed such as a fair and markets and later on a tradesman's holiday with a grand outing by train about the time of Club Day. However, towards the end of the 19th century matters began getting out of hand.
Lytham Club Day - Wednesday June 24th, 1891"The Annual Procession will consist of three Bands - Friendly Societies - Temperance Societies - Lifeboat and Crew - Firebrigade - Donkeys and Riders in Costumes - Tradesmen's Turnouts etc. also - "Transfield's Grand Circus Company. "A Grand Gala and Sports on the Football Field, including Transfield's Circus Company, Clown Cricketers v. Lytham Gymnasts, Sport etc. bands for dancing, concluding with a grand display of fireworks. Ground illuminated with limelight, etc., etc.,"
(reproduced from the original advertisement)
In 1894 The Rose Queen Festival was added to the name Lytham Club Day and we had our very first Rose Queen, Miss Annie Johnson - from St. Cuthbert's Church, According to the 'Lytham Times' "She wore a wreath of exquisite roses and looked exceedingly beautiful in a white dress and rode in a Phaeton lavishly decorated with festoons and garlands of roses and flowers of every variety"